Open Burning Policy
Under the Authority of Chapter 148, Section 10A and pursuant to 527 CMR 10.22, 310 CMR 7.07 and 310 CMR 7.07 (3) the following policy will apply to open burning within the Town of Reading:
1. Person wishing to burn during the specified burning period must report to the Fire Department at 757 Main Street to obtain a permit.
2. A $10.00 fee for this permit will be due prior to issuance.
3. The permit will be valid for two days.
4. Burning shall be limited to brush, branches, cane, driftwood, and forest debris from other than commercial land clearing operations. NO open burning of grass, hay, leaves, stumps, tires or rubbish allowed.
5. Persons wishing to burn must call after 9:00 AM each day to notify the Fire Department of their intent. No fire shall be started before 10:00 AM and all fires shall be fully extinguished by 4:00 PM of the same day.
6. Any fire must be at least 75 feet from any dwelling or structure and must be controlled at all times.
7. The use of gasline, white fuel or any volatile liquid to start or maintain fires is prohibited. Additional regulations relating to open burning may be enforced under this permit.
8. This permit does not release the holder of any liability associated with open burning. No fire shall be left unattended at any time.
9. This permit may be cancelled or revoked at any time by the Fire Chief or his designee.
10. This permit must be available for inspection by the Fire Department personnel upon request. This permit is not transferable and is only good for the address issued.
Chief Gregory J. Burns